Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Deviant Behavior




I experimented with the Ken Burns Effect to see how still frame could have motion and add depth to the subject. I wanted to take images and create a video with a message that my not normally be conveyed through the images themselves. 

I collected images of women in the 1950's American society from commercial ads to pin up posters and separated them into two different chapters. It was kind of an obvious message but I had a lot of fun with it. I picked two popular songs from that era that would connect a feeling or emotion to the images; one song being more homely and sweet while the other more risky and fast paced. The introductory video was found footage from an old car commercial that emphasized the assumed role of a housewife. I then used audio from an informational video that was called "changing 'devient' behavior" to helped differentiate 'good girl' behavior vesus 'bad' where the words and tone change the way we look at each image. The audio establishes an overall theme to my video, comparing the housewives and the pin up girl images to create almost an ironic narrative with a male gaze. I used the Ken Burns Effect to focus on certain aspects of the image to show what the audience was expected to see as important in defining these women.

No comments: